Monday, March 12, 2012

Week 9: Gesture Based Computing

For this week, we are learning about gesture based computing.  We got to choose a scenario and explain it in the discussion post.  I chose a game using gestures to dissect animals.  I think it would be a good game because a lot of people might be against dissecting real animals or might get grossed out doing it.  The game I chose would involve science and fine motor skills.  I wrote about how I'd like my game to be as realistic as possible and allow learners to use realistic tools to complete the dissection.

My Tsunami Evacuation Group 4 worked together last night to put the finishing touches on our project.  We did our evacuation route based out of Kahului, Maui. I thought this project was really interesting especially with the Tsunami in Japan occurring recently.  It allowed me to see what areas are in or out of the evacuation zone and also how to map out my own evacuation route just in case Hawai'i has a tsunami warning. We shared our evacuation routes on 2 social media tools: Picassa and Flickr.

Have a great week everyone, God Bless!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Chelsea,
    I love this idea for a dissection game. As a life sciences teacher, I think it would beneficial for my students to do dissections but I do not like the idea of actually dissecting something in class. For one thing, I do not like all of the chemicals involved in preserving specimens. Also, my middle school students are still a bit immature for the most part and I worry about them using sharp tools and handling specimens. And of course there is the sick factor. We have done a few virtual dissections but something gesture based would be far more interactive and I think, ultimately, more fun for the students. Nice brainstorming!
    Aloha,
    Alia

    ReplyDelete